Friday 6 February 2015

Take it make it challenge

The new issue of Craft Stamper is out and the "Take it Make it" challenge this month is Take a Technique: Stencilling.

This project is one of a trio I made using one stamp (Fred B Mullett), two ink pads (Vintage Photo and Black Soot) and assorted other bits and pieces. The main element of the background is made using a stencil.

The base for the project is a small deep edge canvas covered in old book pages. I applied texture paste through a stencil to start with. It was Crafters Workshop Tie Dye which is one of my favourites. I think it looks very organic like tiger stripes or a nautilus shell. I applied both colours of ink with a piece of foam.

The vertical band is made of copy paper dampened, screwed into a ball, flattened out and then coloured with ink direct from the pad. I have made a marble effect in paper clay by adding a bit of ink from the pad and rolling and twisting it before pressing it flat and stamping into it.

 The label holder is a die cut which I embossed with Distress Embossing powder. I can't resist tongue in cheek titles and this is no exception - taken from the proverb "the early bird catches the worm" but so suitable for this fossil bird,one of the earliest examples.

Below is a close up of the stencilling.I'm hooked on using stencils for texture at the moment and the rugged result seemd just right for a craggy fossil piece.


Why not grab a stencil and join in with the challenge here. You could win yourself some fabulous prizes.
I'm looking forward to seeing what you make.

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous canvas ...just want to reach out and touch the textures Kate! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving your fossil idea, it looks so real !! I have also become your latest blog follower.

    ReplyDelete